- someone who breaks new ground, an innovator or initiator
- someone who is among the first to research and develop a new area of knowledge or activity
Synonyms: explorer, trailblazer, discoverer, front-runner, instigator
Stop MS Pioneers
Transforming the lives of people with MS together.
Our pioneers underpin the Stop MS research programme by funding critical research infrastructure, including:
- Talented young scientists who work on the breakthroughs people with MS urgently need
- The world-leading MS Tissue Bank: Supplying samples for MS research globally
- The MS Register: Revolutionising our understanding of MS
- The UK MS Clinical Trials Network: Our unique network of leading researchers
- The Research Programme Team: Co-ordinators of our world-class Stop MS research programme
Making your mark to Stop MS.
As a Pioneer, you will meet scientists at the forefront of MS research and will receive:
- Guided tours of research facilities
- Invitations to exclusive events including our annual Pioneers' Reception and Stop MS Lecture
- Breaking news alerts and twice-yearly updates about Stop MS progress
- Recognition in our Pioneers' roll-call and a thank you in our Annual Report
Become a Pioneer
Commit to donating £5,000 or more per year and you will lead the way towards treatments to Stop MS. You will give our Appeal critical momentum and help us leverage significant further support.
Sir David Bell - Stop MS Pioneer Chair
Knighted for his longstanding services to industry, the arts and charity, Sir David is a non-executive director of The Economist, former director of Pearson plc and former Chair and Chief Executive of the Financial Times. Sir David’s involvement in public life and service spans many years. For ten years he was Chair of homelessness charity, Crisis, and continues to chair a number of organisations, including the Cambridge University Press, Roehampton University and Coram the national charity that has been focused on better chances for children since 1739. David was also Chair of the Millennium Bridge Trust (1995-2002), responsible for conceiving the first new bridge across the Thames in the centre of London for 100 years.
Thank you to our Stop MS Pioneer Founding Members
Our donors make a huge difference to MS research by funding the critical infrastructure that underpins all our work to Stop MS.
Richard and Lesley Astle
John and Vicki Brice
Colin and Lucy Evans
The Josephs Family Charitable Trust
The Philip Marsden Family Charitable Trust
Geoff and Bernadette Milton
Sir David C. Ord